Sample Songs: Home Demos
As comes through clearly in my book On Beautiful Days Such as This, I have long admired the compression of thought and feeling that can be squeezed into the few minutes it takes to sing or listen to a song.
Here are some simple, one-take home demos of some of my own songs. You'll find the lyrics to these - and many other songs of mine - woven into the narrative that runs through On Beautiful Days Such as This.
- Old, Old Story -- "It's an old, old story about love and its glory, but it's always a good one to tell."
- The Traveller's Wells -- God help you if you're out there on the parched plains and don't stumble upon the Traveller's Wells.
- Dilapidated Soul -- Far and away the most depressing song here (the clue is in the title). About being worn down by the workaday world. You've never felt that way yourself, right?
- Saviour -- About what really saves us.
- These Days -- About breaking free from one's ghosts.
- Heaven's Call -- On hearing a woman with the sweetest voice singing in the London Underground. (This one isn't in OBDSAT)